Surgical Fire Prevention
Surgical fires are rare. But when a surgical fire does occur, the outcome is catastrophic.
In most cases, surgical fires are preventable. However, the entire surgical team’s participation in education and mitigation is crucial to decreasing surgical fire risks. All team members should:
- Participate in a fire risk assessment
- Be able to identify the three elements of a fire triangle
- Maintain open communication during surgical procedures
- Immediately address any issues that arise during a surgical procedure
- Understand their role in the surgical team
- Be prepared to handle a surgical fire if one should occur.
This toolkit provides resources and tools to assist your organization in creating and reviewing surgical fire prevention policies and procedures.